Activities for Off Days

Since I advise most people to begin their KettleX workouts at 3-4 days per week, you’ll have a few days off in between for the purpose of recovery. Keep in mind that it’s this period of time when you actually get stronger and your body changes, not while you’re actually doing the exercises. If you choose to do some form of physical activity, here’s what to do and not do on your “Off Days”:

Your workouts help you achieve about 20% of your overall goal-related package, while the other 80% comes from how you eat. Disheartening as it may be, it’s true! Be careful that your off days don’t become all-out cheat days. It’s fine to have a cheat meal once or twice per week, but that’s it, unless you’re actually trying to gain weight.

If you’re eating too many calories and not seeing results, you’d do well choosing moderate-intensity cardio on your off day, especially if you have a timeline for that weight loss.

Activity options-

  • Get a massage, even if it’s a mini-session after getting a manicure
  • Put some time toward flexibility and mobility. This can even be done at your desk.
  • Enjoy some fun time biking or swimming but for leisure, without a specific goal
  • Rock climb
  • Go for a long walk
  • Dance in your living room
  • Do yoga. This is a perfect movement session that will stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, the opposite of the sympathetic system that is used during your workouts. Lengthening and breathing with yoga poses is a terrific way to revitalize yourself.
  • Read a book, simple as that!

If you’re training hard for strength, endurance or a specific event, give yourself a break and take the day(s) off. You’ll reap better performances on subsequent days if you do.

How would it feel to be Strong, Leaner, and more confident in your body?